Global DNA Methylation - LINE-1 Kit
Active Motif's Global DNA Methylation – LINE-1 Kit is an ELISA-based assay for the detection and quantification of global DNA methylation (i.e., 5-methylcytosine (5-mC) levels) in human genomic DNA. The assay measures 5-mC levels of Long Interspersed Nucleotide Element 1 (LINE-1) repeats. LINE-1 methylation serves as a surrogate for global DNA methylation levels. The 96-well assay is ideally suited for screening variances in 5-mC levels across different disease states, treatment conditions, clinical outcomes, or environmental factors.
Assay results for untreated and
Global DNA Methylation – LINE-1 Advantages
- Simple to follow ELISA-based assay can be completed in 5 hours
- Suitable for use with cell- or tissue-derived human genomic DNA
- Highly sensitive, can detect a little as 0.5% methylation
- Can detect 5-mC from as little as 10 ng of input DNA (recommended starting concentration is 100 ng/well)
- LINE-1 probe is used for DNA hybridization rather than non-specific passive adsorption
- Controls derived from human Jurkat genomic DNA are included as biologically relevant standards for quantitation of 5-mC
Because changes in genomic DNA methylation levels are observed in various human diseases such as cancer, the need to measure global DNA methylation has become more essential to enable the ability to associate 5-mC levels with correlative factors such as patient history or clinical outcome. Active Motif's Global DNA Methylation – LINE-1 Kit offers a simple, high-throughput method to detect and quantify LINE-1 methylation as a measure of global levels of DNA methylation. LINE-1 repeats represent approximately 17-18% of the human genome, with a copy number estimated at roughly half a million1. Studies have shown that the methylation status of LINE-1 and other repetitive elements serve as a surrogate measure of global DNA methylation2-4. Aberrant LINE-1 methylation is also linked to the onset and poor prognosis of various diseases, including cancer5-11. For more information on global DNA methylation and LINE-1, click on the LINE-1 Info tab below.
Active Motif’s Global DNA Methylation – LINE-1 Kit contains an optimized protocol and all necessary reagents to perform DNA fragmentation, hybridization, capture, and colorimetric detection of 5-mC. For added convenience, methylated and non-methylated DNA standards containing known levels of LINE-1 methylation are included in the kit. Standards can be utilized to generate a standard curve for determination of % 5-mC values for the DNA samples.
To learn more about the LINE-1 Global DNA Methylation Kit, click on the Method, Data, or Contents tabs below. To view a manual or other related documents, click on the Documents tab below.
- Weisenberger, D.J. et al. (2005) Nucleic Acids Res., 33(21): 6823-6836.
- Lisanti, S. et al. (2013) PLoS One, 8(11): e79044.
- Kazazian, H.H.J. (2000) Science, 289(5482): 1152-1153.
- Yang, A.S. et al. (2004) Nucleic Acids Res., 32(3): e38.
- Ogino, S. et al. (2008) Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 100(23): 1734-1738.
- Cho, Y.H. et al. (2010) (2010) Anticancer Research, 30(7): 2489-2496.
- Irahara, N. et al. (2010) Journal of Molecular Diagnosis, 12(2): 177-183.
- Wilhelm, C.S. et al. (2010) Clinical Cancer Research, 16(5): 1682-1689.
- Baccarelli, A. et al. (2010) Epidemiology, 21(6): 819-828.
- Kim, M. et al. (2010) PLoS One, 5(3): e9692.
- Ohka, F. et al. (2011) PLoS One, 6(8): e23332.